Applications Due by June 24 at 3:30 p.m.
Portage Health Foundation (PHF) is proud to award the James Bogan Health Administration Scholarship to a deserving resident of Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw and Ontonagon counties of Michigan. The scholarship is for $5,000 for a student in a master's level program that will help advance their careers in the healthcare sector. Applications are due by Wednesday, June 24 at 3:30 p.m. The scholarship will be awarded July 10.
Funding for this scholarship has been made possible by the Portage Health Foundation in honor of James Bogan, MBA, FACHE. Bogan was the longtime CEO of Portage Health.
Interested student-applicants must complete an application form and cover letter as outlined in the application and return to PHF no later than 3:30 p.m. on June 24, 2020. Late applications will not be considered. Applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or mailed to Portage Health Foundation; 400 Quincy St.; PO Box 299; Hancock, MI 49930.
- Download Application (PDF)
James Bogan Health Administration Scholarship Eligibility
The scholarship applicant must meet the following criteria to apply and be considered for funding.
- The student must be enrolled/accepted into a Master’s level program in an accredited institution/program of education;
- Acceptable programs include a Master’s in Business Administration, Master’s in Public Health, Master’s in Health Administration, Master’s in Public Administration; or Master’s in Non-profit Administration.
- Proof of acceptance must be provided with the application;
- The student must have at least a 3.0 GPA or meet the education institution’s minimum GPA and academic requirements for maintenance in the enrolled program;
- The student must be a resident of the four-county area identified above;
- The student must be intending to maintain, pursue or advance their career within a health related occupation/administration opportunity;
- The student must submit a cover letter and accompanying essay in support of their application.
James Bogan Health Administration Scholar Obligation
If awarded, scholarship recipient understands that s/he must meet the following obligations.
- Be enrolled/accepted into a Master’s level program in an accredited institution of education
- Provide proof of residence in either Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw or Ontonagon County (For example - a copy of applicant’s driver license and voter registration card)
- Maintain at least a 3.0 GPA or meet the educational institution’s minimum GPA and academic requirements for maintenance in the enrolled program
- Provide completed W-9 form for tax reporting.
- Cooperate with PHF as they coordinate check presentation, media release, and social media content. Furthermore, by accepting this award, s/he authorizes the release of information/picture and will participate as requested for publicity purposes and promotion of this scholarship offering.
- Distribution of funds as follows:
- Fall Semester: $2,500 – disbursed after official last date to add/drop with a 100% refund with proof of enrollment.
- Winter/Spring Semester: $2,500 – disbursed after official last date to add/drop with a 100% refund and proof of grades from Fall Semester and proof of enrollment.