In this episode we talk with Cynthia Drake, the Grief Educator at Omega House. She is the host of a monthly community grief support group. The Third Thursday Community Grief Support meets every month for an hour from 5 to 6 p.m.
“We noticed we could use a lot more grief support in our community,” Drake said early on in the podcast. “(The group) normalizes something we all know is normal, but we’re uncomfortable talking about it.”
During the pandemic the sessions seamlessly moved to virtual, and Drake said even when things are normal they might move to a more hybrid model because of how well it works. If you’re interested in learning more about the groups or want to get a link to join the next session, visit https://www.omega-house.org/grief-bereavement-program/.
Quotable Moments from Cynthia Drake
- “Open to anyone experiencing any type of grief."
- “We wanted to make courageous conversations around grief."
- “It sets aside a time of intention.”
- “Everyone seems to leave really touched by the experience."
- “It is such a tender place to come into. It’s nice to know there are others being vulnerable.”
- “The people that come are really all age groups.”
- “Because it’s such a vulnerable place to go and you let your guard down, you trust others in the group, these become safe people for you.”