Free WiFi Hotspots in Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw & Ontonagon Counties
Having access to reliable, high speed internet isn't optional in 2020.
For those who don't have that access at their home, we're proud to be offering a network of dozens of WiFi Hotspots. Thanks to support from up.net, Peninsula Fiber Network and REMC1, these are free to use with no login required. Currently we have 17 WiFi Hotspots live, with many more to come!
WiFi Hotspot Map
Below is a map of free WiFi Hotspots. As you see, there are many options in our four-county region, with many more to come. This map was created and is managed by Connected Nation Michigan.
Current PHF Public Internet WiFi Hotspots
The list of WiFi Hotspots below is active and running. Exact locations can be found on the Connected Nation map above. Signage will be put up at all locations soon.
- Alston: up.net Building
- Calumet: Calumet Elementary School
- Calumet: Little Gippers Child Development Center
- Calumet: Houghton County Memorial Airport
- Chassell: Chassell Township Schools
- Chassell: up.net Office
- Hancock: Barkell Elementary School
- Hancock: Hancock High School
- Houghton: Copper Country Mall
- Houghton: Houghton-Portage Elementary School
- Houghton: Houghton High School
- Houghton: up.net Office
- Lake Linden: Louie's Fresh Market
- Mohawk: Horizons Alternative High School
- Painesdale: Jeffers High School
- South Range: South Range Elementary School
- Tapiola: up.net Building
Additional locations planned include spots in Dollar Bay, Copper Harbor and Ontonagon. Check back for more details as they're made available.
- Miner's State Bank in South Range
- Parkview Lodge & Grill in Twin Lakes
If you want to receive an email when new locations go live, please click the button below to provide us with your email address. The only emails you will receive are emails about our network of free public WiFi Hotspots.
HotSpots at Local Schools
Nearly every public school in Baraga, Houghton, Keweenaw and Ontonagon counties will have a free public WiFi Hotspot.
Please note: The schools where we will not be able to install a hotspot are Arvon, Copper Harbor and Elm River. Every other school is planned.
The map above is maintained by Connected Nation. Any submissions of new/additional free WiFi Hotspots or reports of outages should be done through Connected Nation.
Connected Nation’s mission is to improve lives by providing innovative solutions that expand the access, adoption, and use of broadband (high-speed internet) and its related technologies to all people. We believe that everyone belongs in a Connected Nation. For more information, please visit: www.connectednation.org or follow Connected Nation on Facebook and Twitter.
How Simple, Effective Partnerships are Connecting Rural Michiganders to the Internet— Connected Nation (@connectednation) May 21, 2020
And - HERE'S THE REALLY GOOD NEWS - it’s something every area could do: https://t.co/CzKV8UqdSV #ConnectedNation #digitalinclusion pic.twitter.com/GG34eVuvTi
This project would not be possible without generous partners.
- up.net - The crew from up.net ordered materials, quickly identified locations, installed the Hotspots and is providing access to its network free of charge as a community service.
- Peninsula Fiber Network - PFN is providing their network free of charge as a community service.
- REMC1 - Providing access to more than 20 locations, REMC1 has been integral to helping this effort reach people no matter where they live in Michigan's Keweenaw Peninsula.
Fine Print & Support
- WiFi Hotspots are available every day from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- There is no tracking of personal usage.
- Certain websites have been blocked, including websites providing adult content. If you have any questions or concerns about this, email email@example.com.
- SUPPORT: If you are experiencing technical difficulties with the WiFi hotspots, please call up.net at (906) 353-3939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support This Project
Portage Health Foundation is proud to bring this to our community as part of our response to the COVID-19 pandemic. See a full list of what we've done and help support our efforts by visiting phfgive.org/covid19.